Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

.357 Sig conversion barrel for XDm & reloading for it.. Need a lil help please!

Hey guys, I've really been toying with the idea of getting a .357 Sig barrel for my XDm 40. I've narrowed it down to 2 different ones, the EFK Fire Dragon and the Storm Lake. Both are supposed to be drop in barrels and rarely require fitting. Hopefully someone here can chime in on experience with both barrels in this platform. Once I get the barrel figured out, I need some info on which projectiles to use. I'd like to keep it in the 125 grain range. I do know that certain 9mm projectiles won't work due to the ogive and getting the neck tension to hold it properly. I've read lots of excellent info stating that Longshot powder works excellent as well as Power Pistol which are the only 2 powders I will use in the .40 S&W after years of experimenting. Also, do you .357 Sig loaders have to trim brass since it is bottle necked? And how many loads do you normally get off your brass? Mostly planning to use this to see if I can extend my target range with handgun a lil more with consistency, with occasional use on hogs for head shots since my area is overwhelmed with those nasty critters lol. I won't use it as much as my .40 for target but would like to find possibly good target projectiles as well as hollow points for both purposes stated. Also, which dies are you guys using for the .357 Sig? Any tips on getting neck tension and crimping set properly to avoid setback would be great as well. Thanks in advance guys!
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Administrator
    I have a Glock that started life as a 40, and I have lone wolf barrels in 9mm, and 357 sig for it. Nice barrels in my opinion.
    For bullets, it does take a straight walled bullet normally. The 124gr Xtreme Flat Point is a great one for it.
    We do have a Speer Gold Dot package with Nickel cases listed here on the forum. It would be a great one for your purpose
    Brass does grow and needs to be trimmed. Also, make sure to have a case gauge. Setting the shoulder can be tricky, and lots of people load a bunch up, then find out the shoulder isn't rifght, and they have to pull the rounds apart

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the info Wes. I would have liked to get a Lone Wolf barrel, but it seems they don't make XDm barrels. It will be mid December before I'll be able to grab everything up (barrel, conversion kit for Dillion 550, dies, supplies, etc.) I'll be coming to you for the brass and projectiles, hopefully you will have them in stock at that time. How fast are you able to push the Xtreme in the .357 Sig?
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks buddy!! We'll be here when you are ready!!
    You can push the xtreme bullets faster than a 357 sig is capable of, so no worries there
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCoyote View Post
    Thanks for the info Wes. I would have liked to get a Lone Wolf barrel, but it seems they don't make XDm barrels. It will be mid December before I'll be able to grab everything up (barrel, conversion kit for Dillion 550, dies, supplies, etc.) I'll be coming to you for the brass and projectiles, hopefully you will have them in stock at that time. How fast are you able to push the Xtreme in the .357 Sig?

Title
    Premium Member
    What brand dies are you using Wes? Not really wanting to order Dillon dies at $150 right now.

Title
    Administrator
    RCBS and Lee Dies

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you sir!

Title
    Premium Member
    Ordered my 1k brass, 100 gold dots, and 500 Xtreme 124s. Now to order the quick change and powder funnel from Dillon, and some dies. Barrel should be here this week hopefully.